June 9, 2014

271 My Supplement List [9 June 2014]

I am sometimes asked what I take for supplements and thought that would make a good topic for this week’s column. Here is the list of what I am currently taking on a daily basis – an even dozen supplements:
• Multi for Men 50+ to cover all the bases
• Vitamin C 2,000 mg – can’t put enough in a multi
• Vitamin D 5,000 IU in winter; 2,000 in summer
• Vitamin E – mixed tocopherols 730mg & mixed tocotrienols 100mg
• Calcium Magnesium 1,000 mg calcium + 500mg magnesium for bone and heart health
• Magnesium – additional 600 mg, to balance the calcium and to help me sleep
• Vitamin K2 200mcg – directs the calcium into the bones not my arteries or joints
• Fish oil for omega 3 EFAs provides 750 mg EPA and 500 mg DHA
• Prostate formula – lets me sleep through the night
• Eye health antioxidant formula – to protect against deteriorating vision
• Digestive enzyme – to ensure optimum nutrient assimilation from food
• Probiotic – to maintain a healthy gut flora

With the exception of Vitamin D, all of these are taken in divided doses between breakfast and supper for better absorption and more even assimilation. I frequently alternate brands to get a variety of nutrients.

In addition to the supplements, I also add a psyllium husk & flax fiber blend, hemp hearts, and chia seeds to my breakfast cereal. I sometimes snack on protein bars between meals.

There are many other supplements that I have taken or use occasionally as needed, such as: coenzyme Q-10 which is important for heart health and declines as we age; a green drink to provide trace minerals and phytonutrients; oil of oregano when fighting a cold; or a detox cleanse. And sometimes I forget to take my supplements so maybe I need ginkgo or phosphatidyl serine for my memory!

For more information on this or other natural health topics, stop in and talk to Stan; for medical advice consult your licensed health practitioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment